ARTIST WORKSHOP: HOW TO PAINT YOUR PET’S PORTRAIT
DAAC Members receive 20% discount
LOCATION: Dona Ana Arts Council, Arts & Cultural Center
1740 Calle de Mercado, Suite D, Mesilla, NM (575)523-6403
Friday, September 20, 2019 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 21 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, September 22 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
10 – 12 Participants
All levels using oils or acrylics
- sketch pad
- pencils and charcoal sticks
- canvas or canvas boards – square or rectangular
- sizes: 8 X 8”, 10 X 10”, 8 X 10, or 11 X 14”
- 6 – 10 photos and photo copies (8 X 10”) of your pet you want to paint
- Or, pull photos from magazines and make photo copies to 8 X 10” size
- your own paints, oils or acrylics and appropriate containers for Gamsol/terpentine or water
- favorite brushes
- any mediums you prefer to use
- any preferred pallets
- apron to protect clothes
- paper towels
- easel – tabletop or full size
I will also bring extra supplies:
- extra canvases/boards
- charcoal, pencils, erasers
- Saral graphite tracing paper
- spray fixative
- extra photo copied photos of various cats and dogs
- pet magazines
GENERAL AGENDA BY DAY:
- Introduction of me to class: includes bio, samples, and overall background, goal for workshop, how I started my biz, etc.
- Intros of each of the participants: general background, painting/drawing experience, personal goal for the workshop, etc.
- Demonstration of Step 1 in my process: selecting and sketching image and creating solid composition. How to select and determine what will look best.
- Demo of my approach: using graphite tracing paper for initial layout; then refine and add values with the charcoal; then spray with fixative before painting
- LUNCH – 45 mins – one hour
- Demonstration of Step 2: the underpainting of the image using reductive process, wiping with rags
- All do underpainting
- Share sketches, drawings and underpainting throughout the day
- End of day Q & A
- Begin with any overnight Q & A
- Demonstration of beginning of laying in the paint/color
- Paint together through the day with additional demonstrations on adding color and values
- Thinking through and selecting background colors
- Share and discuss everyone’s painting, address questions, etc.
- LUNCH – 45 mins. – one hour
- Spend afternoon session finishing painting, tweaking, etc.
- End of day Q & A, share everyone’s progress
- Continue the Q & A from prior afternoon and share paintings
- Final discussions, how goals were met, any new techniques learned
- Have participants fill out an evaluation survey of the workshop (I assume you have a form you use).